Tuesday 26 July 2016

Does it really work?: Boy best friends

It’s the age old question that is widely debated. Can girls and boys really be best friends and nothing more? Everyone seems to have an opinion however I have first hand experience on the subject. I went to an all girls primary school so my only male influences until I turned 11 were my family members ( dad,uncle,grandad) including my little brother Hamish who is 18 months my junior. He’s been my best friend since I can remember and he still remains one of my closest human relationships to date and I wouldn’t change it for the world. 
When I entered secondary school I adapted fairly quickly to my new male acquaintances and it was a type of friendship I immediately appreciated. I felt as though I had new brothers and that protective, drama free relationship was something I liked. 
     Of course at 11-12 there wasn’t really much that could seriously get in the way of a inter gender friendship. Yes there were crushes and kisses but no deeper or darker plot lines that could cause serious upset or pain to those involved. At 18 I still love the boy/girl friendship dynamic however I will be the first to admit complications. If one is lucky enough to find a friendship in which there is no sexual chemistry involved then I fully believe that friendship can work for years and years to come. One sided sexual interest or chemistry is where it gets increasingly difficult and painful however if you go about it the right way you can still make it work.
One of my closest friends is male and I wouldn't change our friendship for the world. There have been various bumps in the road and it has not been perfect. I didn't see him for almost a year due to his ex girlfriend not letting me spend time with him however we are stronger than ever and it is like it never happened.
  It is very likely that people will have an opinion on your friendship especially partners however as long as yourself and your best friend know the score then that's all that matters.
It is important to be adult and mature about the situation especially if it involves a third party eg; your best friends girlfriend. I found it difficult to deal with my best friend having a girlfriend as you are going to inevitably be edged to the side slightly. This is totally normal and nothing personal and as long as that person makes your best friend happy then that should be enough to get by. 
   It gets complicated however if the girlfriend/boyfriend in question dislikes you. If this is the case then it's important to be mature about it and to approach the situation with dignity and tact. I think it is a good idea to meet the person in question face to face for a chat as over the phone or through third party messages it can get misunderstood and twisted.
I honestly do believe that I will be best friends with my male friend for years and years to come and I have every belief that we can tackle anything that may come in the way.
  In my opinion, it doesn't matter who your best friend is, whether they are gay,straight,male,female or bright purple, if you have the mindset to make a friendship last then it will.

Have a lovely day :)
Millie x


No comments:

Post a Comment