Sunday 11 January 2015

Film VS Book ( Travelling to Infinity and The Theory Of Everything )

A couple of weeks ago I was having a browse in WHSmiths and spotted a picture of Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones on the cover of one of the books. I recognized it from the newly released film ' The Theory Of Everything' and found it was actually the true story behind the film, written by Jane Hawking herself. I decided ( as I tend to do ) to buy and read the book before going to see the film at the cinema. I have finally finished the book and have just returned from seeing the film.
Naturally, I've heard of Stephen Hawking, everyone has, however I had no idea he had been married for over 25 years. The quote I find best describes Jane and Stephen Hawkings situation is " Behind every great man there is a great woman." Now, I'm not saying this is true in every case but it definitely is here. Jane Hawking cared for Stephen for years as his totally disabling Motor Neurone disease wasted him away. Jane first wrote the autobiography back in 1999 however in 2008 it was re published, highly adapted and updated. I found the book to be unlike other autobiographies I've read. Jane is very respectful of her ex husband whilst retaining a total feeling of honesty and candidness which I found extremely honorable and decent. Her strength of character throughout her years with Stephen really made me question my own strength and I developed a huge sense of admiration for her. Some of the experiences she shared in the book made my jaw literally drop. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend it entirely.


After enjoying the book so much, you can imagine I had pretty high expectations for the film. I was not disappointed however I still prefer the book. I wanted the film to show more of what Jane had to go through and although it did shed a lot of light on her struggle, I still felt as though Stephen's story was brought more to the forefront of the film. Eddie Redmayne's portrayal of Stephen is literally incredible. Occasionally the line between reality and film become blurred and you forget Eddie isn't in fact Stephen. In parts, they look so alike and you can tell Eddie really studied Stephen's mannerisms to create the convincing part he achieved.

( below: left, Stephen and Jane  right: Eddie and Felicity )


I love Felicity Jones as an actress however I'm not sure she was as perfect for the role of Jane as Eddie was for Stephen. I'm not sure why I feel this way however maybe it's due to having such a clear cut idea of how Jane should be from reading the book. Still, I really did love the film and I will not be surprised if Redmayne recieves an Oscar for his role.

Thank you for reading :)

bloglovin x




No comments:

Post a Comment