Thursday 1 January 2015

Recent Reads // MostlyMilly

Happy 2015!
Hope you're all having a positive, happy start to your year.
Recently I have been reading a lot, especially due to the books I received as Christmas presents. 
Here are a few books I have read recently and that I recommend. 



1. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
I cannot believe I have only just read this. I knew Capote was good, naturally I'd read Breakfast at Tiffany's and then ' Truman Capote The Complete stories' which was lent to me and I loved them. I became intrigued after hearing so many great things about In Cold Blood, his final finished book and I needed to read it. I was shopping with my Grandma before Christmas and we went into the book shop in town and she asked if there was anything that I would like. When I spotted In Cold Blood I knew this was what I wanted and she kindly bought it for me, wrapped it up and I received it on Christmas morning.
The faster I read a book, the better the book is, and I read this book like lightening. I didn't put it down and couldn't put it down. Truman Capote was a genius and only he could tell the true story of two cold blooded murderers and make you feel sorry for them, make them so human even after they had committed such an inhumane act. A thrilling, brilliantly written book.
Straight after I finished In Cold Blood I watched the film Capote starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, who plays Truman. I believe he won an Oscar for the film and it was well deserved. The film was fantastic and portrayed the writing of In Cold Blood and the lengths Capote went to create such a brilliant book. Highly recommend.


2. Revolution - Russell Brand
I have become very interested in Russell Brand recently. I don't agree with everything he has to say but I think it's a very important thing to be able to listen to other peoples views and opinions. He has some very interesting points included in this book and I did enjoy it, however it got quite heavy towards the end and I had had enough. Would recommend to anyone interested in politics and/or Russell Brand.


3. Travelling to Infinity - Jane Hawking
I haven't finished this book yet, I am still currently reading it however I wanted to include it in this post as I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I haven't yet seen the film 'The theory of everything' but I would really like to. I thought I would read the book it was based on first as that is what I usually tend to do, read the book then watch the film. That way, I can use my imagination and enjoy the book without being influenced by the film before hand. 

Thank you very much for reading! x









No comments:

Post a Comment