Wednesday 10 September 2014

How I grew my nails// MostlyMilly

For the longest time I was incredibly jealous of girls who were able to wear nail polish. It was like a whole world of colours and nail art that I couldn't join in with because my nails were non existent. One of the many habits I tend to do when I'm nervous or stressed has always been to bite my nails and I can definitely relate to how difficult it is to stop. However, this year in May I was determined to stop and to grow my nails and trust me if I did it then you can.

This is what I started with...

www.millierae.com
 
 
 
^ Pretty short. To start off with I started getting shellac done every 10 days to 2 weeks and I began seeing a huge difference really quickly. Shellac, if you've never used it, is a much stronger, longer lasting gel polish that you can get done pretty much anywhere now a days.  They can't smudge and I never experienced any chipping at all, I think shellac would be the best way to begin with growing your nails as its much harder to bite them.
 
www.millierae.com
 
 
^ This picture is after a few weeks of shellac. I was getting impatient and because I wanted length quickly I got acrylic tips covered in Shellac. This was a terrible idea as the nails were extremely weak and are nothing like real acrylics because they're only covered in shellac. They fell off in a couple of days and decided to stick with just shellac without the tips.
 
 
www.millierae.com
 
 
^ I'd say this picture was taken about 4 weeks after I'd started with the shellac and already you can see that they grew really quickly. I promise as soon as you start seeing progress it's so much easier! You don't want to spoil what you've done and when you can see it's working it feels like its really worth it :)
 
 
www.millierae.com
 
 
^ I swear I got so excited when I started seeing the white bits...
 
 
www.millierae.com
 
 
These are my nails now. I stopped using shellac after I started seeing my nails growing and felt confident that I could carry on without it. I am SO pleased with them and it's so worth trying to grow them if you're thinking about it :) I know it's a lot harder when you're actually doing it but here are a few tips to help you along the way :
 
 
1. Invest in some really nice nail polish.
( If you always paint your nails with really pretty colours and make sure to re-do them if ever one chips or comes off , you'll feel a lot more inspired to keep them looking nice)
 
2. Buy a good nail file and ALWAYS carry it with you
( I found a set of nail files called 'Stylfile' , they're really great and because they're curved I find them easier to use. The set I bought included a mini version on a cute little keyring and it's perfect to keep in my bag. It's SO important to keep one with you as if you chip them or catch your nails you can simply file them instead of ripping  or picking at them with your teeth)
 
3. Instead of biting your nails try chewing chewing gum! ( It'll hopefully distract you from sticking your teeth into your nails )
 
Finally, if you're looking for a really nice, soft pink nail varnish I definitely recommend the Jack Wills colour in 'Pink'. It's super pretty and I use it all the time.
 
 
 
 
www.milierae.com
 
 
 
I really hope this helped ! If you have any other tips on how to grow your nails feel free to leave them in a comment below! x
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment