Tuesday 9 September 2014

Vintage Shopping // MostlyMilly

I used to hold the popular belief that vintage shops were full of smelly, old fashioned rubbish that old people may well have passed away in . Fair enough most of the clothes need a good couple of washes to get rid of the foisty aroma but once you put that aside vintage shopping is actually really great. There's something about the hunt and the excitement that you don't get in your regular Topshop or Primark. My mums really into vintage shopping and although our styles are very different I enjoy rooting around with her as you really never know what you might come across. She says she likes to think about where the clothes have been, who has worn them and the history behind them. 
Last week we went to Space in Harrogate (http://www.spaceharrogate.co.uk/) and I can honestly say it was one of the coolest vintage shops I've ever been to. I was literally in awe at finding vintage Christian Dior and Chanel from the 1950s, for some reason I couldn't believe designer labels like this could be found in a vintage shop and although the prices were of course hefty I was so excited to just stand and admire them. 


Here is a white tennis skirt I picked up there for just £12. As soon as I saw it I squealed a little as I had seen so many American Apparel skirts not too dissimilar and as my heart wasn't set on spending £46 I thought it was a pretty good find.



  After I'd bought it I noticed a Reebok logo on the bottom of the back side of the skirt though I suppose it's only small and doesn't really matter.



In a little box filled with jumpers ( my favourite things ever after onesies) I picked up this xl Burberry jumper. Although not the most exciting thing ever you can never go wrong with oversized snuggly jumpers to throw on with jeans in autumn. 





Finally, I also purchased 3 books as they had a bookshelf containing a book about pretty much anything you're interested in. I got a Bob Dylan book, a beautifully illustrated Beatles lyric book and a Stone Roses book. 





So next time you come across a vintage shop, open your mind and have a look in , you might surprise yourself :)







2 comments: