Sunday 21 September 2014

The polo neck // MostlyMilly




I have always worn black polo necks, even since I was little I remember wearing them and absolutely hating them. I used to announce to everyone that I was in fact suffocating and the neck was too tight. However, I've learnt to love them and think they're a must for anyone's wardrobe.


Over the last few years as my love of old films, and in particular Audrey Hepburn, has flourished I have discovered the polo neck is just one of the many timeless pieces from that era. Audrey in Funny Face undeniably wears the black polo neck to perfection (but then again, what didn't she wear to perfection?) .



You can find other examples of wonderful women from this time sporting the polo neck for example, Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall.




Polo necks have never really fallen out of fashion and hopefully never will. A nice big coat and black trousers paired with some cute black flats is my favourite way to wear them and I regularly do.

Here are a couple I own:

http://www.missguided.co.uk/saya-polo-neck-jersey-top




http://www.asos.com//Mango/Mango-Rollneck-Jumper/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4230797




Both really simple, cheap and classic :)

And if you're still in doubt, I'm not the only one who swears by them x

















Lastly, here is an inspirational, beautiful woman wearing a polo neck. If you're not already aware, Emma Watson has taken up a new role as UN Womens goodwill ambassador and is involved in a new movement called He for She. This wonderful speech she gave yesterday explains all about it :

               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-iFl4qhBsE&feature=youtu.be


If you're a male and have made it this far down a blog post about womens polo necks I love you and will also urge you to sign this, it will literally take you 1 minute and will make a huge difference :)
Also ladies, if you hear what Emma is saying and are as passionate about equality as I am, please ask your dads, brothers, boyfriends to do the same x




lots of love x



No comments:

Post a Comment